Wednesday, January 1, 2014

6 MONTHS OLD



Emma is 6 months old today!  How quickly this day has come.  I really do think time speeds up once you have kids.  Look at that chunk a monk up there.  She is my world.

Well I'm proud to say I made it though this semester, with a brand new baby no less.  I received an A- in both of my classes!  One more semester to go and I'm done with grad school.  I will be graduating this May.  I am so, so, grateful that I have this year at home with Em.  I don't think I would have ever finished my degree otherwise.  And it's so great to watch Emma grow and change every day.  I'm also very lucky to be able to breastfeed her for the entire year.  I'm not sure if I would have continued breastfeeding if I had gone back to work.  As hard as it is sometimes being a stay at home mom, these past 6 months have been the most amazing time of my life.  It still blows my mind that we made this little girl, and I am able to feed her with my own body.  Science is amazing!  I am also astounded almost daily at my capacity to love.  There is no way to describe the love you feel for your own child.  It humbles me.

Enough with the mushy stuff!  Here's what's new with Em:


  •  she is eating solid food for lunch and dinner now.  Breastmilk is still her main form of nutrition.  However this little girl loves to eat.  She gets really excited at "mealtime". She loves sitting at the table in her high chair with mom and dad and having "dinner" with us.  Her favorites so far are pears and carrots.  

  • no crawling yet, but I think we are getting close.  She moves her legs, and then her arms, in a crawling fashion.  But she can't figure out how to do both at the same time, and lift her torso.

  • she sits up like a champ, all the time.  In fact she hates laying down now and always wants to be sitting like a big girl

  • she "talks" a lot too, constantly babbling and screeching and making sounds at us

  • she grabs her toys, my hair, my phone, anything within reach.  She is very strong and loves to grab things and explore them and put them in her mouth

  • she loves to bounce and will jump in her jumparoo or johnny jump up for a long time

  • she is very interested in both the cat and the dog.  When either of the pets comes in to the room Emma kicks her legs and flaps her arms and makes screeching excited sounds.  Can't wait 'till toddlerhood, the pets are in for a world of pain.  

  • sleeping is going okay.  Some nights she sleeps the whole night.  Some nights she still wakes up for 1 or 2 feedings.  But on the whole it's not too bad.  She's also forming a solid nap schedule for herself.  She takes a big nap in the afternoon, so we have to make sure all activities are done in the morning and we are home or in the car by noon or 1:00.  I'm learning to schedule things around nap time now.  

  • She loves her daddy, and her Nana and Grandpa and Auntie K.  We've gone out a couple times now and they have babysat.  She does okay, still cries and has meltdowns, but is getting better.

  • she is long and chubby, and all her 6 month clothes are too short for her.  We're in 6-9 month size clothes now!


I'm enjoying being on winter break from school and spending lots of time with family.  Classes start up again in February and we will be busy, busy, busy.  Until then we plan on having lots of fun adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment