Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Developments

Hello blog readers!  Well we are slowly ending week 3 and approaching week 4 in Emma Bemma's world.  She has had some new developments:

- she is starting to take shorter naps and be awake and alert more often throughout the day.  This is making mommy go, um, what do I do to entertain you?

- she is starting to sleep for longer stretches at night.  Thank God.  We have switched up the routine a little.  We keep her up with us until 8:00pm now and start bedtime then.  Before that I feed her as much as I can so that she is full.  She's been sleeping 8:45pm - 5:00am, with nighttime feedings.  This is kind of nice because we get to hang out with Randy in the morning for a cup of coffee before he leaves for work.  I'm hoping it will soon get down to 1 or 2 feedings during the night, and then some magical day she will sleep the whole night through!

- She's still sleeping in the rock 'n play in our bedroom.  We are going to try putting her in the crib next week.  I am worried about this, but it has to happen eventually.  And it will probably help me sleep.  Emma is a noisy sleeper when she's in "light sleep", she grunts and wheezes and makes all kinds of noises.  If she's in her own room I won't lay there listening to all the noises, but will still be able to hear her if she needs to eat.  Any tips on transitioning from the rock 'n play in our bedroom, to her crib in her room?  Basically we are just going to bite the bullet and try it next week.  We'll keep her swaddled in her miracle blanket as usual.  I'm hoping it does not go to horribly.  For her naps during the day she either sleeps in her vibrating chair or her car seat (if we have been out).  Should I be swaddling her and putting her in the crib for naps too?

- She does not care for walks in the stroller.  I'm not sure why.  She'll make it a little while and then start crying and freaking out.  I'm hoping she will like being in a baby carrier better, because I really want to start going on longer walks with her!  Whether that is outside or in the mall.  She does okay in  her car seat in the shopping cart at the store, but that is for short periods of time.  I have no idea why being walked in the stroller is so awful.
Emma not excited about our walk today.

- poor thing also has a blocked tear duct in her left eye.  I've been trying to massage it and wipe away the goobers.  We have a doctor's appointment on Monday so I will have them check it out then

As for me?  I am doing good.  Emma and I are a lot more active and confident about getting out of the house and doing stuff.  I still haven't breastfed in public yet.  I am pretty nervous about that.  I am meeting a friend for coffee on Friday and will probably attempt it then.  If Emma's hungry, I gotta feed her!

Randy is also doing well and is busy at work and taking care of us when he gets home.  We love that he gets done with work at 4:00 now, so that we can all hang out together in the afternoon.  And of course we love being together on the weekends.

Recently my in-laws were here with us and they were such a huge help.  My mother in law basically cleaned our whole house and my sister in law did all the laundry.  She also would get up with me in the morning and watch Emma so I could take a 2 hour nap.  Man I miss those naps.  It was great to have family around to help.  

2 comments:

  1. Hi Megan,

    What a cute picture of Emma!

    Before transitioning our kiddos to their cribs, we let them sleep in the nursery in their Rock n Plays for awhile. This helped get them used to a different space instead of throwing a new space and new bed at them all at once.

    Regarding the stroller, we discovered that our babies were getting hot in the stroller. We bought little stroller fans, and they LOVE them! Just a thought - http://www.amazon.com/Dreambaby-Stroller-Fan-White-Blue/dp/B0043IS18I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374719194&sr=8-1&keywords=dream+baby+stroller+fan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with the comment above regarding baby getting hot in the stroller. When Ronin was a baby he would get really warm in the stroller/carseat and it was important not to put too many layers on when he was in there! With that being said, he and I both preferred the baby carrier for long walks outside.... so peaceful and easy! :)

    As for transitioning to the crib, Ronin co-slept with us until he was about 6-8 months old, though for nap times each day we would rock him until he fell asleep and then put him down in the crib so he got used to both spaces (our family bed and his own crib).

    ReplyDelete